I wonder if you are beginning to make a list of gifts you need to buy for the upcoming holiday gift giving season. Do you have “easy” people to buy for on your list; people that you know in a snap of the fingers just what to buy for them? On the other hand, what about those “hard to buy for” people; are there any like that on your list?
Obviously we are all probably going to come up with a few ideas for the hard-to-buy-for people on our list. But what about the teen or young couple or the teacher and coach on your list that would prefer a gift card, be it in the form of a cash gift card or one to a particular store? We all hear about the throngs of December 26th shoppers looking to spend their gift cards. Did you know that these pieces of plastic are a very lucrative business? Have a look at some statistics.
The Gift Card Industry
- Over $100 Billion is spent on Gift Cards annually
- 93% of U.S. consumers purchase or receive a gift card annually
- Consumers spend an average of $213/year on gift cards
- 83% of corporations use gift & prepaid cards for employee incentives
- 72% of customers will spend MORE than the value of their card
- On average the recipient will spend 20% MORE than their gift card value
- 90% of gift cards are used within the first 60 days
Where Consumers Buy Gift Cards
- 31% – Gift card mall or kiosk (grocery/convenience stores)
- 27% – Websites that sell multiple gift cards
- 27% – In person at the retailer or restaurant
- 16% – On the retailer or restaurants website
Gift Cards Online
- Online gift card sales are growing by 29% per year
- 97% of the top retailers & restaurants sell their gift card online
- 92% of those top retailers offer multiple card designs
- Less than 3% of local businesses sell their gift card online
Based on these numbers, it would be fair to assume that we will get or give gift cards this season. The question then becomes:
How do we give a gift card in a creative, caring way?
Obviously, we don’t want to spend a fortune on the cards but there are ways to present gift cards that show you put the time and the effort and some thought into the recipient’s gift.
Take a look at just some of the clever ways to give a gift card.
If they drive a lot, or love driving, consider a gas card inside a Hot Wheels package.
If they cook, bundle up a hot pad and some wooden spoons with the card.
If they love date night, prepare a Chinese takeout box with a dinner card and a movie card.
If they love coffee, put a gift card into a specialty grown container of coffee beans or a mug?
If they play golf, why not gather up some new or used balls and make a plaque?
If they love reading, buy them an antique book and place a card inside its pages.
If they want clothing, how about wrapping up a package of hangers with a gift card attached?
If they eat a banana every day at break, why not bundle up some and put a bell and ribbon on top?
If they love vintage, how about a Mason jar filled with twine or buttons or some favorite thing they collect?
If they love candy, place a gift card into a Mason jar of candy.
Sometimes the best gifts are the ones that are the simplest and easiest to get and to give.
LTD 7 sells gift cards and we have them in both of our stores and online as well. We can supply the gift cards in various denominations and we can help you package them in clever and fun ways. We have lots of containers; we can make a gift basket, and we can help you to surprise a person or two or three on your list. When you come in, please ask for help. You can trust us to listen and come up with some ideas for you to consider. Don’t forget the mailman, the gardener, the teachers and coaches and your favorite neighbors and friends. There is surely a way to make all your gift-giving a little less stressful and a whole lot of fun in the process. Consider a gift card this holiday season.
Have a tremendous week everyone! Thank you to our customers and friends that stopped in LTD 7 on Friday night for Sparkles and Sweets. It was so much fun seeing all of you!
Living the Dream,